Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Meatless March Day #15: Easy Healthy Spaghetti

After a couple weeks of trying so many new things...Spaghetti! Yay!

vegan spaghetti


Kind of a crazy week this week and I did not have any sauce previously made from scratch and wasn't up for doing it today.  I have found a good organic and additive free sauce at Trader Joe's that we like, so I got some of that when I went to the store this morning to do the shopping for the week.  I also picked up a pound of mushrooms and some chopped spinach to add.

Ingredients:
1 tbsp veggie broth
2 jars of additive free, organic, spaghetti or marinara sauce (or use my from scratch recipe!)
1/2 lb frozen chopped spinach
1 lb chopped mushrooms (my kids eat them better chopped)
1 onion, chopped
4 oz. whole wheat spaghetti noodles
4 medium zucchini, shredded

Directions:
In a large skillet over medium heat add veggie broth,onion and mushrooms and saute over medium heat until most of the juices from the mushrooms have cooked out. Add spinach and stir for a few minutes. Add sauce and simmer, covered over medium low heat, stirring occasionally.

Cook noodles according to package directions.  Shred zucchini, with a cheese or vegetable shredder and put in a small saute pan with a couple tablespoons of water and cook covered on medium high until it reaches soft desired texture.

I prefer all zucchini, but Nate and the boys like noodles with theirs!

This took such little effort that while it was cooking, I also made another batch of hummus, and boy was Nate happy about that!

Friend me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NicoleEvansFitness

No comments:

Post a Comment