Friday, March 8, 2013

Meatless March Day #4: Sweet Potato 3 Bean Chili

So, on day 4 we had an obligation in the evening and would not have much time for cooking or eating really, so I was thrilled that on the menu, I had chosen something that I could make in the early afternoon and just let it simmer until dinner.

The only real cooking here is chopping everything up.  Nothing fancy here, just chop it up and throw it all in the pot on med-low.   It was really good too!  And there was enough left for Nate to take to work the next day and froze enough for another meal!!  This is my kind of thing!

Once again, the kids ate it and we felt full and satisfied.  I think I must feel the need to mention that after each meal (if it is true), because going into this a lot of people, myself included, wonder if you can really get enough to fill you up without the meat. And yes you can!  If it can fill up Nate, anyone can get full off of it! :)

Super healthy and super yummy!
vegan chili

Ingredients:
3 cups vegetable stock
2 cups black beans
2 cups kidney beans
2 cups pinto beans
28-40 oz. of tomatoes, diced
1 onion diced
1 cup corn, fresh or fozen
2 sweet potatoes diced
4 med-lg garlic cloves minced
1 Tbsp chili powder
3/4 Tbsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 T oil (we used grapeseed oil)
Salt & hot sauce to taste

Typically I do buy dry beans and soak them, but this week there was just so much going on, that I opted for can beans. So, I used 4 cans of beans, total: 2 of one kind and 1 of the others. For the tomatoes, I prefer to dice my own rather than use can tomatoes, but you can use a 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes instead of fresh, if that is your preference it will still work.

Directions:
Throw it all in a big pot and cook on med low for about 3 hours covered stirring occasionally.  For the last 1/2 hour cook uncovered and you can also add about a Tbsp of flour to thicken the sauce if needed.

I would imagine you could put this in the crock pot on low all day and it would be really yummy also, possibly better!  Also, as stated you can freeze any leftover for another day when you may not feel like cooking.  This recipe makes a good amount!

Remember why you make healthy nutritional choices as you go into the weekend when you will be faced with a mound of temptation, at least I know we will!  This is a birthday party weekend for us! Evan is turning 3 and Zac just turned 10! So, we are celebrating!  I am making vegan chocolate cupcakes with chocolate moose and well of course there is now chocolate, peanut butter ice cream in my freezer for tomorrow.  We will also have company and family visiting, that will say we have lost our minds and "take the fun out of eating" since we do not make the same choices that they do. Temptation is everywhere! But, I remember why I make the choices I do, as far as my nutrition, and remember the commitment I have made with Nate.  We really want to see how our bodies are going to react after being meat and dairy free for a month and we won't be able to do that if we lose focus and start thinking about the short-term (chocolate) pleasure!

Have a great weekend everyone! Stay strong! :)

-Nicole

Friend me on Facebook:  www.facebook.com/NicoleEvansFitness



No comments:

Post a Comment